- New net has been put up
- Golf course will let us know about any additional measure they have taken in regards to this matter
- Netting around the children’s playground is being investigated by the University as well.
Parking lots during events:
- To prevent non-residents from using our parking lot during reunions, Parking and Transportation has been asked to put up signs at the entrance
- As well, Lawrence apartments is not listed on any Reunions information as a parking lot for use
- Once the weather warms up we can start outdoor yoga classes at Lawrence
- Will be open to any resident who wants to participate
- Hopefully will begin sometime this month (weather permitting)
As a reminder there is a Graduate Housing Summit on Wednesday, May 17th at 5pm-7:30pm in Frist room 302 to discuss issues, questions or suggestions for the housing process and housing in general. Pizza and drinks will be provided.
A resident in building 9 has two lost packages from Amazon.com. They are addressed to building 9, Apt 301. Please contact Kun Lu (firstname.lastname@example.org) if one of the packages was mistakenly delivered to you.
- Information and Sign up email will be sent out this week by Sam Richter
- Information meeting will be held after Spring Break
- Depending on weather, the garden should be started beginning to mid April
- Sam is also planning a Saturday morning event with donuts available for gardeners and friends
Bake off Event Planning:
- Will be held the weekend of April 23rd, Sunday afternoon or evening
- There will be multiple categories with prizes tbd
- An email will be sent out 2 weeks in advance asking residents to sign up for the contest
- There will also be a children’s activity
- Possibly a decorate your own cookie/cupcake table
- All baked items will be baked at home and brought to the event
Golf Course Letter Update:
- Golf Course will be replacing the netting around the driving range
- Which is being done regardless due to regular maintenance
- Possible further remedies include: a sign at the golf course reminding players that there is a residence here and to be careful, or emailing all members stating the same thing.
- Will be held every Monday and Wednesday @ 7:30pm, starting March 27th, going until June 15th
- Will be held in Building 14 common room
- There will be a separate email sent out with more information as well as a document to sign up for classes.
Bus Schedule issue:
- We are sending an email to Transportation requesting more bus service from 5-7pm as residents have noticed over crowding on these buses.
- We will await their response and let residents know.
Lawrence Committee Meeting February 14th, 2017
- Golf course issue
- In response to resident complaints, the committee has written a letter to be sent to the Springdale Golf Course notifying them of the issue of stray golf balls entering the apartment complex.
- Sam will send a physical copy of letter and Katja will email the letter as well.
- The second social event of the semester will be a bake off held in April.
- There may be different categories, depending on how many people sign up. One idea is a kids baking category.
- Residents will be notified about two weeks before the event to sign up
- Oscar awards show screening
- The first social event of the semester will be an Oscar awards show screening on Sunday, February 26.
- The event will feature popcorn, candy, snacks, and drinks. Possibly we will provide scorecards for people to guess winners within each category and give out prizes for correct guesses.
- Event will be advertised at least a week in advance.
- The committee has received funds from the Graduate School to host spring yoga classes. The classes are planned to begin indoors after Spring Break and then to move outdoors when the weather is nice enough.
- We need to confirm instructor availability
- Send instructor email regarding dates/times.
- The garden sign ups for next spring’s garden season will begin sometime in March. Sam will put up posters re: sign up for gardening.
- Recent change to bus schedule where after 5:30pm, the bus runs only every half hour instead of every 15 minutes
- Some residents have complained that the buses and very crowded because of this.
- The committee will bring this issue to the attention of appropriate parties.
Excessive doorbell ringing Building 10:
- Some residents have reported that unknown individuals are repeatedly ringing doorbells to request entrance to Building 10. It is a safety concern if residents are buzzing in unknown individuals.
- It is likely that these individuals are trying to access the laundry rooms, though Laundry is only for residents of Lawrence Apartments (who all have keys).
- The committee will post signs reminding residents of buildings with laundry rooms to please exercise their best judgment when buzzing people into the apartment.
Sustainable energy provider:
- A resident asked if the Lawrence website could be updated with information about using sustainable energy providers in addition to PSE&G. Housing has read the proposed text but raised some issues about the list of sustainable providers provided by the student.
- The committee is still working to finalize the text for the website.
We contacted grounds and as of January 2017, they use de-icing salts containing potassium chloride, calcium chloride, hydrated magnesium acetate and sodium chloride.
Yoga class at Lawrence
- Application for Yoga to be written
- Proposal letter to be submitted
- Class being held inside …outside on nice days?
- Post to website regarding weather updates for outdoor classes?
- How to choose who gets classes?
- Poll to see how many people are interested in yoga first
- Then give people choices of which dates they would like to attend. If 50 people sign up for yoga and there are 10 classes (with 10 available slots) then each yoga participant could sign up for 2 classes.
Buildings with heating issues
- Forwarded info to facilities for further information on solution
- Windows issues
- Drafty window allowing cold air into apt.
Lawrence apartment photos/update
- Have photos of old Lawrence buildings as well
- Ask housing to put photos up of different types of apartments available for students on their website
- As of right now, no photos of interior of units
Golf Course letter
- Concerns about golf balls being hit close to playground, and also buildings windows broken, etc.
- Write letter to golf course
- A letter has been drafted, which committee members will comment on. Chris Warkala will also review the letter.
- Testimonial from residents who have been affected by this issue
- Emails about dates, ideas, etc.
- Can always ask for more funding from GSG for more events if need be
- Garden doughnut days
- Morning doughnuts on Saturday for gardeners and residents
- Sign for Lawrence gardens area
- Farmers market for gardeners?
- Each candidate presented a statement of up to 90 seconds in length
- Voting was conducted by secret ballot
- President: Sarah James
- Vice President: Burcin Cakir
- Secretary: Katya Hyvarinen
- Social Chair: Emilce Santana
- Webmaster: Julia Wittes
- Garden Coordinator: Sam Richter
- GSG Rep: Xiaoyu Tang
Chris Warkala from Housing and Real Estate Services
- New move-out policy
- Currently, if one resident of a multi-room apartment moves out, their room is not repainted and cleaned before a new resident moves in.
- Problem: The last resident to leave a multi-room apartment gets caught with all of the charges for any damage to the apartment by any resident.
- Starting next semester, if one resident leaves, there will be an inspection and cleaning before the new resident arrives. Also, any resident moving in to a unit will get a room condition form.
- Question: sometimes the new resident needs to move in on a particular date and can’t be flexible (ie. previous lease ending at the same time as the new one begins.) Can you work with those students so they won’t have a gap in their housing due to the inspection / cleaning process?
- Water quality testing at Lawrence
- All tests were okay, with any contaminants below the regulatory levels set by the EPA.
- The test results in full will be posted to the EHS website by the end of the year.
- Installation of lights along Alexander Road
- 16 lights are being installed by the University along Alexander Road between Lawrence Drive and Faculty Road. They should be installed by the end of January.
- Raining golf balls in Lawrence from Springdale golf course
- Chris advises that the committee compose a letter to the golf course about the problem and he can pass it along.
- Renewable energy sources
- A Lawrence resident reports that he was able to switch from PSE&G power to a Green energy provider.
A resident in building 10 is looking for a package from the MoMA store. It is addressed to Sarah Reibsein in building 10, Apt 104. Please contact the Lawrence Committee at email@example.com with any information about the missing package.
A resident is missing a parcel addressed to:
12 Lawrence Dr., Apt. 107
If anyone sees it, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.