November 12 Meeting Minutes

Below are the notes from our most recent Lawrence Committee meeting on Tuesday November 12, 2019. These notes contain information on the much-asked-about Lawrence Composting program, which has hit a delay (read below).

 Housing update

New playground equipment is in! Old playground is still up but is likely soon to come down in a timely fashion.

The Lawrence Composting will be done with the company Organic Diversions, which also works with Campus Dining for their composting system. Trash collection at Lawrence is handled by Princeton Building Services, and they want to add Lawrence composting as an addendum to the current contract they have with Campus Dining. This then requires a more prolonged approval process, in contrast with Lakeside composting which is managed by an external company and has its own trash collection arrangement (and therefore a much shorter approval process). The approval for Lawrence is still under way, which explains why the launch has been delayed beyond October. Lawrence Committee has expressed that this is a top concern among Lawrence Residents and is continuing to monitor the situation closely with Housing.

Social events

Bonfire was a huge success. Estimate of 50 attendees!

Next up: Holiday cookie decorating. Tentatively on the morning of Saturday December 7 in Lawrence 14 common room.

The dwindling shopping carts

Housing is unable to purchase new carts or devices (to prevent lost carts), given that the new carts were just ordered this year. 

Lakeside management frequently sees the shopping carts show up in their complex. Housing will attempt to put Lakeside management in touch with the Lawrence Committee, and Housing will help coordinate with Facilities to get them returned if there are some there right now

New signs will be placed on carts that explicitly state the carts should not be removed form Lawrence.

GSG Update

Graduate Housing retreat—meant to be focused on grad housing survey—was canceled unfortunately due to lack of available and willing grad students to participate. 

Joshua went on the safety walk with Amit and Michael. Concrete plans were devised for updates and improvements for Lawrence: (1) a walkway that connects directly to old Lawrence is definitely possible now (2) more lighting for the walkway on Alexander (3) improvement on crosswalk at roundabout by Lakeside

Transportation update

The Alexander Bridge is now officially closed and is scheduled to be opening in April, although delays would not be unexpected. To attempt to alleviate traffic, the University is encouraging staff to do flexible work schedules (including remote work) and carpooling.

The bridge closer raises safety concerns due to increased traffic on Faculty Road.

Grad students raised concern about the infrequency of buses after 7pm. The Committee will contact the Office of Transportation Services to see if the Lawrence/Lakeside bus line can be extended for an extra 30-60min.

If you want to express a concern directly to Transportation, please email Charlie Tennyson (ct15@princeton.edu). Emailing him will give him a better sense of what issues are occurring.

Lawrence Chat listserv

There is an opt-in Lawrence listserv (lawrence-chat@princeton.edu) that can be used to send emails to a group of Lawrence Residents. You can sign up through the Listserv Management Webpage. In the past, residents have used the list for lost & found, to ask to borrow items (e.g., tools), or even to see if carpools to a location could be arranged.

Lawrence elections

The election committee will be Joshua, Kevin Fleming, and another Lawrence resident that Joshua has recruited. The date of the election is Tuesday, December 10 and the deadline for declaring candidacy is Tuesday, December 3.

Candidate nominations will begin soon (in ~1 week). Then after a few weeks, the election committee will allow candidates to adjust what position they are running for (in case there is a lot of competition for one position and no candidates for another). Then voting will take place online in the few days leading up to the next Lawrence committee meeting, with in-person voting (for those who did not vote online) and candidate statement reading taking place at the meeting.

Goals for next committee cycle: (1) change name of “GSG Representative” to “University Liaison” to better capture responsibilities of positions (2) potentially create a “Facilities Manager” position and merge positions of “Secretary” and “Webmaster”

The garden

The garden officially closed (until spring) on Halloween week.


In Attendance

Deepen Garg
Yi-Che Chang
Guanhua He
Noam Reich
Joshua Bauchner
Michael Hebditch
Richard Gagliardi
Amit Alevi
Maruicio Loyola
Chris Tokita

October 8 Meeting

 

Garden update
The season is almost over and has been a great success, with around forty gardeners! There will be a final cleanup after Halloween, and Mauricio plans to buy some extra supplies with the remaining funds (from participant fees).

Social events
Campfire and s’mores on Wed., 16 Oct: Because of the construction of the new playground in front of building 14, the campfire will take place in the old Lawrence lawn. We discussed safety precautions and planning for materials.

The second event of the term will most likely again be a holiday cookie decorating in December.

Trick or treating for kids: The committee will again put together a spreadsheet: residents will sign up to be at home with candy on Halloween eve for an hour, and families can check where to bring kids for candy!

Lawrence 14 Common Room
Kristin Isaacs reported on the work she and other parents have done to organize the space, develop guidelines for further use, and plan to keep the space tidy. We discussed how to make sure the space can be usable for families while also remaining open for everyone.

One specific question arose: Do any residents currently use the piano in building 14 regularly?

The question of whether the committee should have a permanent position devoted to “facilities,” including the building 14 common room, was raised. While the committee can vote to add such a position, the grad school has to approve giving another committee member housing priority. And if such a position would usually be a parent or family member with kids, then housing priority would be moot (families already have priority). Combining such a position with another committee member (e.g., GSG rep, who would become a “community and university liaison” or some such) was suggested. All options will be considered and a route forward will be proposed before the next meeting.

Physical plant / facilities / admin updates
Laundry: Housing is still working on updating the laundry facilities. Housing will make new signs to help in reporting broken machines.

Carts: The committee is aware of the ongoing issues with cards disappearing. We will add other signs to the carts, but don’t have many other options for tracking them. We ask residents to please return them to their home, which should be indicated already on each cart!

Housing and transport: Compost is coming very soon! Keep an eye out for emails from housing with details.

Elections
We will be holding elections for the 2020 Lawrence committee at our December meeting. More details to come. But please note that, in addition to being a resident, the only requirement is attending one meeting of the committee before the election. So if you are interested, the November meeting is the last chance to do so.


In attendance:
Michael Hebditch
Mauricio Loyola
Amit Halevi
Chris Tokita
Richard A. Gagliardi
Joshua Bauchner
Kathy Ingraham
Noam Reich
Kristin Isaacs

September 10 Minutes

Gardening update
The summer went well. The next community event will take place around the last weekend of September. If new residents are interested in learning about the community garden, they can go to the garden’s page on the Lawrence website or contact the garden coordinator, Mauricio Loyola, at lawrencegarden@princeton.edu

Carts
There are issues with the carts going missing. Some have been found near Wawa and at Lakeside. Michael will see if there is a way to improve that. We are supposed to have nine carts, but it doesn’t seem like we have that many left. Celia is going to do a census.

Laundry rooms
Chris asked on behalf of multiple residents if there is a possibility to have a change machine from which we could get quarters. Michael will do some research about it. A resident mentioned that there is also the option of credit card machines where you can pay for what you need.

Richard asked if we can consider getting rid of the coins altogether. Michael will ask around regarding that as well. The laundry machines could be replaced as well. Joshua will talk with GSG to see if they could possibly help with funding in that case.

 Lawrence Yoga
We are working on scheduling the weekly yoga classes for this new semester. Amit has reached to Recreation and they have offered a slot on Mondays from 8 to 9. Residents present at the meeting approved of this time slot. Amit will confirm with Recreation what is our starting date. The classes generally take place in the building 14 common room, but two residents mentioned that the building 1 common room would be much better. Amit will look into that as well.

Fall semester social events
We would like to organize one event in late September: a campfire, with S’mores and possibly some alcohol for those who want some. This event requires a fire permit and Richard will look into that.

For Halloween, just like last year, we will set up an online sign-up system for residents who are willing to be home when the children come for trick or treating. We will put posters on the doors of each building with the names and apartment numbers so that parents know where they can knock.

A resident mentioned a boardgame night would be nice as well, and another resident mentioned pumpkin carving. Richard will look into all these options and see what we can manage with our budget.

Elections
Elections for the Lawrence Committee will take place in December. More information will be sent closer to the date.

GSG update
There were no meetings in the summer. Joshua wants to remind residents that we now have donation bins in the building 1 laundry room. There might be a need to empty them more often as they are very popular, so Joshua will look into that.

Transportation update
Alexander Road will be closed between November 6th of this year and April 2020. Transportation has plans for the shuttles using this road (PTS, 693.) For the shuttles that usually stop at the Alexander/Lawrence stop, residents will have to be mindful of where they are going to stop starting then. The Lawrence shuttle should be able to drive on Alexander Road to reach Lawrence Drive.

Transportation is working on ways to generate better feedback, for example the option of phone calls to get information on an ongoing issue. They are also working on improving the on-demand service and the general service.

Amit mentioned that it could be interesting to consider charging stations for electric cars.

Housing update
The TV in the building 1 common room has been replaced. An Apple device should be added to cast to it.

Residential composting will be set up by October 1st in the three dumpster areas of Lawrence. It won’t accept bags or napkins, only food. Housing is working on signs with clear instructions.

Organizing a talk with the Department of Public Safety to discuss safety, security, and best practices for reporting any potential bike thefts or other community concerns to DPS.
There have been attempted bicycle thefts on campus. As a result, DPS wants to talk about general safety, how to lock up the bikes, etc. The idea is for Sean Ryder from DPS to come to one of our meetings, maybe in October, or to a meeting specially organized for this occasion. We are going to work on some dates. Kevin will ask Sean Ryder where online resources can be found for people who won’t be able to attend the meeting.

Access to the Lawrence listserv
Partners of graduate students are welcome to join the Lawrence listserv. Information can be found of this page: https://lawrence.princeton.edu/2001/06/mailing-lists/

 Miscellaneous
A resident mentioned the important number of toys, some of them broken, in the building 14 common room. She would like to organize the room and make it safer and cleaner. The committee has sent an email to residents to ask them to remove any personal belongings they might have left in that room. Michael mentioned that we might be able to purchase some storage units.

The Graduate School is sponsoring a barbecue in Lawrence on Thursday 19th from 5 pm to 7 pm. It will take place near building 14. All residents are welcome to attend.


In attendance:
Kevin Fleming
Michael Hebditch
Joshua Bauchner
Amit Halevi
Celia Chalfoun
Chris Tokita
Richard A. Gagliardi
Mariah Prescott Fancy
Kristin Isaacs
Noam Reich
Sophie Dvali
A.J. Maziarski
Kaiwen Zheng
Guanhua He
Chadi Sadd-Roy
Thomas Massoni
Carlo Rosati

May 14 Minutes

Transportation

– All current annual graduate parking permits (residents and commuters) will be extended to September 30. The printed expiration date on them is June 30. A new virtual permit system should be deployed by late summer to issue virtual permits beginning in the fall. An email will be sent by Transportation and Parking Services (TPS) to all graduate students on this subject.– The summer TigerTransit schedules start on May 28. They are available on the website.

– TPS is considering options to facilitate feedback regarding shuttles (a ticketing system; TPS is also launching opt-in email lists for TigerTransit updates this summer.) Users will have preferences for line-specific and system-wide information so they can learn about delays and other operational issues faster. Passengers can also contact TigerTransit dispatch at 609-587-1070 ext. 1 for immediate operational issues.
– TPS is aware of the issues with buses and schedules when the Alexander Road bridge was temporarily closed and will work with us to have better information during the fall closure.

– The Zagster bikes are slowly being replaced and this should be completed before the fall.
– A new Weekend Shopper (including Woori Mart in Princeton Junction) and a new Evening Circulator (to accommodate D-bar better on weekends, etc.) are under consideration for the fall schedules.

 

Gardening update

The garden is in full operation, with a total of 32 gardeners. There is still space left. Interested residents can fill the online form to request a plot or can contact Mauricio directly at lawrencegarden@princeton.edu.

The first event took place on April 21st and a second one should take place after Reunions, probably on the second or third week of June. All community members are invited.

New hoses were purchased and are now available in the garden.

 

Housing update

Michael Hebditch is still in the process of having the TV replaced in the building 1 common room. The possibility of relocating it on another wall of the room will be discussed.

Graduate students should have received an email regarding their contracts and housing information for the upcoming year.

If something of yours was confiscated during a fire inspection, please contactinspectr@princeton.edu before June 30 to get it back.

 

Planning for Fall 2019

Emilce Santana is defending and leaving Princeton University in July. Amit Halevi will serve as interim president until the December elections.


In attendance:

Kevin Fleming
Michael Hebditch
Chadi Saad-Roy
Mauricio Loyola
Amit Halevi
Emilce Santana
Celia Chalfoun
Chris Tokita
Richard A. Gagliardi

April 9 Minutes

Upcoming Game of Thrones event
The event takes place on Sunday the 14th at 7:30 pm in the building 14 common room. A reminder will be sent on the day of the event. There will be food, games, and drinks. We will also show a recap of last season.
Shopping carts
Three new carts have been purchased for the Lawrence community. Signs will be attached to them to indicate where to return them after use.
Gardening update
The registration for the garden is now open. Residents interested in signing up can do so through this link. 19 gardeners have registered as of now. Registration remains open during the summer.
A damaged water faucet was repaired by Facilities last week and the university is going to till the soil soon. The garden should open once this is completed, and the kick-off event should tentatively take place on Saturday 20th, in the morning.
There is some interest from non-gardener residents to use the garden composters. Unfortunately, the composters are not big enough to sustain the whole community and are for the garden only. Michael Hebditch noted that residential pickup for composting is being explored, but there is no time frame for now.
GSG meeting update
The new Graduate Student Government was voted in. There are no other updates.
Housing
Michael Hebditch is presently getting some quotes to replace the TV in the building 1 common room. Once a decision will be made, it will take a few weeks for delivery and installation.
Facilities and Public Safety want to remind residents that there are issues with birds and other animals entering residential buildings when people open their window screens. It is advised to keep the window screens closed. If you encounter an issue, contact Public Safety (https://publicsafety.princeton.edu/ or 609-258-3333). If your window screen is broken, contact Facilities (https://facilities.princeton.edu/).
Regarding the safety walk, a list of what is going to be submitted to the University services is being finalized.
Transportation
The Stony Brook bridge is closed for emergency repairs. The anticipated reopening date is April 19th. The university shuttles are diverted to Washington Road.
If you want to report issues with the shuttle tracker, you are invited to email Charles Tennyson (ct15@princeton.edu). Joshua will talk to Charles Tennyson to see if there would be a way to call someone directly when there is an issue with a shuttle, to be informed of what is going on.
The university is also aware of the skateboards and electric scooters on campus than can generate issues and collisions. These can be reported to Public Safety.
Please note that the last meeting of the committee will take place in May. There will not be any meeting in June, July, and August.

In attendance:
Kevin Fleming
Michael Hebditch
Joshua Bauchner
Mauricio Loyola
Emilce Santana
Celia Chalfoun
Chris Tokita
Richard A. Gagliardi

March 12 Minutes

Upcoming Wine, Cheese, and Chocolate Tasting event
The event will take place on March 30th at 5:30 pm in the building 14 common room. Posters have been placed in each building and email reminders will be sent to the residents this week and the day of the event.

Upcoming Game of Thrones event
The event will take place on April 14th in the evening, in the building 14 common room. The time of the event will be confirmed soon. The episode will be shown on the TV screen available in the common room. No alcohol will be served at this event.

Shopping carts
The committee has taken a census of shopping carts around Lawrence, found that 5 are remaining (plus an additional one in a bad condition), and will see with Michael Hebditch and Chris Warkala from Housing if additional carts should be requested.
The committee has also put yellow signs on the carts to indicate where they should be returned after use.

Gardening update
The gardening information on the website was reviewed by Mauricio, who compiled the most important information in a single-page document, the “Lawrence Garden Handbook”, which will replace all the current entries on gardening. A link to the document will be displayed on the website. 
Incoming gardening season: the garden will open after the Housing Draw results, on April 9th. There will be an online form for registration, and a week before opening, Mauricio will hold an information session for interested residents. Posters promoting the information session will be displayed in the buildings beforehand. In the meantime, interested residents can email Mauricio at mloyola@princeton.edu

Safety walk in Lawrence
There is a continued demand for a pathway for students going to the back of the complex (buildings 1-7) and Housing is aware of that, but because of the scope of the work required (possible widening of the strip of ground where the path would go) and the work order spanning Housing, Grounds, and other university offices, it will be a more slow-moving process.

The issue regarding lighting in the buildings 2-7 area is electrical. Most of the lights have been or should be fixed soon. There is also a possible lighting issue in the parking lot, but it should be getting addressed with ongoing repairs. Any ongoing safety issues you may notice should be referred to Michael Hebditch (mhebditc@princeton.edu), who will add them to the list made during the safety walk.

Transportation update
The transportation office is aware that the shutting down of Alexander road is not safe all the time, with regard to lane closures.

Website
A link to report temperature problems in Old Lawrence will be made available on the website to make it easier for residents to find how to and report the problem with Facilities.

The Committee would be interested in photographs or illustrations of Lawrence that residents might have taken or drawn and that could be used on the website. Interested residents can send their artworks to lawrapts@princeton.edu, and the Committee would also like to encourage graduate student residents to submit their photographs to the ongoing Instagram photo contest (please see attachment).

Golf balls
The Committee and the University are aware that some of the balls from the golf course sometimes end up in the Lawrence complex. The nets have been raised and repaired and the situation seems to have improved. The playground near the garden will also consequently be moved to the area in the middle of buildings 2-7.


In attendance:
Kevin Fleming
Michael Hebditch
Joshua Bauchner
Mauricio Loyola
Amit Halevi
Emilce Santana
Celia Chalfoun
Chris Tokita
Richard A. Gagliardi (on the phone)

February 12 Meeting Notes

Lawrence website
The Committee is planning on using a new theme and possibly high-resolution images of the Lawrence complex. The way information is organized will be restructured and the content will be updated where needed, such as in the Government, Maintenance, Garden, and Directions and Transportation sections.

Events
Two events will be held this semester:

  • a Wine, Cheese and Chocolate Tasting event for which the tentative date is March 9th, late afternoon. More details will come.
  • a Game of Thrones party on April 14th, the day the first episode of the final season will air.

Transportation
There will be a partial shutdown of Alexander Road on weekends from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., starting the first Saturday in March. It is necessary to fix power lines and for other work and is unrelated to the eight-month planned shutdown to replace the bridges. It will remain in effect until the work is complete, at least throughout the month. We are checking to see how the Shopper will work during the shutdown.

Charles Tennyson, Head of Transportation, shared during a meeting that the eight-month planned shutdown has no official starting date yet. It may depend on the date the Dinky service is restored. The University will work their best so that all shuttles can continue making their usual stops and keep on schedule. It will still be possible to drive on Alexander Road to access Lawrence drive and there will be signs to indicate that.

Transportation is also aware of the issues with the shuttle tracker glitching and the schedule. Over the summer, they should be rethinking a lot of things to make transportation easier for everybody. If you experience any issues, please email the Committee (lawrapts@princeton.edu) or Charles Tennyson from Transportation (ct15@princeton.edu).

Shopping carts
The Committee will investigate the possibility of getting more shopping carts to accommodate all buildings. One issue is that the shopping carts are not always brought back to the complex.

Temperature in Old Lawrence apartments
If you experience issues with the temperature in your apartment, please mention it to Facilities by opening a ticket (https://facilities.princeton.edu/services/request-service). Although there is not much that can be done at this point, it helps Facilities tracking the issue.

GSG
GSG wants to remind students that if they have any complaints or comments, they should feel free to get in touch with GSG.

Housing
Michael Hebditch would like to remind students to please fill the survey for Lake Campus as their contribution is really helpful.

Sustainability
There is a pile of abandoned clothes in the Building 1 laundry room. If you have left any clothes there, please collect them as the Committee will arrange for them to be donated soon. Camila Reyes brought up the idea of improving recycling in the Lawrence complex. She will look into it with the Office of Sustainability.


In attendance
Kevin Fleming
Michael Hebditch
Joshua Bauchner
Mauricio Loyola
Richard A. Gagliardi
Amit Halevi
Emilce Santana
Celia Chalfoun
Chris Tokita
Camila Reyes
Jose Lemaitre
Jack Weis

January 8 Meeting Notes

Social events

A social event will tentatively be held between late February and mid-March. The Committee would also like to organize a Game of Thrones Final Season party in April. More information regarding these events will be shared in the upcoming weeks/months.

Planned repairs

Joshua talked with Charles Tennyson, Head of Transportation, regarding the planned repairs of the two bridges over Alexander Road. The bridges are to be replaced and the construction work will take around 8 months. The impact should be minimal for the Lawrence residents: the Dinky should be running by the time the repairs start and the Lawrence/Lakeside shuttles will be allowed on Alexander Road during the repairs. More information will be provided by the University in due time. Concerned residents can reach out to the Lawrence Committee if they have questions (lawrapts@princeton.edu).

Housing

Photographs of some units should be available on the Housing website by the time the room draw starts, to give incoming residents an idea of what the apartments in Lawrence look like.


In attendance:

Kevin Fleming
Michael Hebditch
Joshua Bauchner
Mauricio Loyola
Amit Halevi
Emilce Santana
Celia Chalfoun

December 11 Meeting Notes

Elections were held for the 2019 Lawrence Committee. The new elected committee:

President – Emilce Santana
Vice President – Amit Halevi
Secretary – Celia Chalfoun
Social Chair – Richard A. Gagliardi
GSG Representative – Joshua Bauchner
Webmaster – Chris Tokita
Garden Coordinator – Mauricio Loyola


GSG updates:

Joshua attended the housing retreat. Housing policies were discussed as well as ways to make Lawrence a more attractive option for students (updating the laundry room with commercial machines, removing the coin system and generally rethink the structure of the room).

The graduate housing survey is going to be compiled and the results will eventually be displayed on the housing website.

Housing:

Photographs of a two-bedroom and a one-bedroom vacated apartments will be taken and uploaded to the Housing website to give incoming residents an idea of what the units look like. These photographs will not be representative of every unit as the configuration can be a bit different.

Also discussed an ongoing effort to secure funding for a 360 virtual tour of the units.

Yoga:

There will be no more classes this semester. There will be more discussions on the possibility of continuing the classes in the spring semester.

Security:

Some residents shared their concerns following the lewdness incident. The possibility of adding more lights outside was discussed. Michael Hebditch will follow up with Facilities on this matter and mentioned that a safety walk will be organized in the winter to survey the lightning areas. Concerned residents are invited to bring their concerns to Kevin Fleming from Graduate School (kevinaf@princeton.edu).

The issue of flickering lights was also raised. Facilities has fixed some of them in the past, but Michael will see if there are plans for these lights to be improved or fixed.

Website:

Discussed updating the website as some information is out-of-date. The committee will go through the website to assess the situation.


In attendance:

Joshua Bauchner
Mauricio Loyola
Kevin Fleming
Michael Hebditch
Amit Halevi
Sarah James
Chris Tokita
Emilce Santana
Celia Chalfoun