Lawrence Committee election:
Election will happen in December, with the following procedures:
- The committee will send out email to recruit for volunteers for election (election committee need residents independent of the election).
- The election committee will send out more detailed emails regarding the election process.
- Candidates declare candidacy and submit statement.
- A short time window will open for candidates to switch positions (e.g. to switch to positions where fewer candidates are running).
- Election day and vote.
For those interested in running for the Lawrence Committee in our December elections, please check out our constitution which outlines all the positions as well as eligibility requirements. Candidates need to attend at least one committee meeting before the election meeting.
Next social event:
- The second social event this semester will be a Lawrence brunch, tentatively in Lawrence 14 common room at 10:30am Dec 8th.
- Discussed getting toys and coloring books to be more kid-friendly, as well as preparing cookie decorations, hot chocolate, and how to advertise.
GSG & Graduate housing update:
- There are several potential rule changes currently under discussion. Students who spent at least 1 full year in absentia could submit a pre-draw form to have their Room Draw priority adjusted. For example: a current G4 who spent 1 year in absentia could draw as a G3.
A Student with a spouse or domestic partner could live with roommates in multi-bedroom apartment. All residents in the apartment would have to agree, we would not randomly assign anyone to this living arrangement. Families with children would not be able to live with roommates. To prevent over stressing common facilities, this would be piloted to allow one couple per apartment.
- Joshua will represent Lawrence Committee at the housing retreat to discuss how to better incorporate families with kids in Lawrence. Also discussed the potential of free laundry or facilitating laundry payment by tiger card.
- The graduate housing is working with the golf course to ensure safety in Lawrence (e.g. move the closest playground further away to avoid potential injury).
- Discussed long term plan of systematically updating website with more detailed information, e.g. updating lost-and-found page and adding detailed floor plans of each building (together with graduate housing).
- Garden cleanup session held on Oct. 6th.
- Lawrence garden 2018 T-shirts were distributed.
- Next open info session will be next season.
Next Social Event:
- In previous years the committee has organized a trick-or-treating sign up for Lawrence residents who are willing to distribute candy on Halloween. This list is organized by building and shared with fellow resident parents with children so that they can take their child out trick-or-treating in the community. Similar to last year, we are planning on sending out a sign up sheet and signs for participants to put on their door. More details to follow closer to the event.
- Discussed organizing a separate social event the weekend before Halloween, or meet-up on Halloween after trick-or-treating in Lawrence common room.
- Going forward the committee will spend $100 from our budget each year to cover all expenses for non-student residents. Thus, there will be no ID check and money collection. Details on first yoga event coming soon.
- Renewed discussion about going forward with a free pile in building 14 computer cluster where residents can exchange items in good condition that they no longer need or want.
- Also discussed making a sharing/borrowing spreadsheet for larger items to lend out among the Lawrence community.
- There is lots of resistance from the town, unclear if it can be resolved in time to bring composting to Lawrence in the near future. Michael is helping us work on it.
- We will have an election in December, in November candidates declare candidacy and turn in statements, will have more details in the November meeting.
- Dinky: there is concern among some residents and the larger community about the status of the dinky. The transportation board is working on making sure we have options – right now bus replacements are slated. Refer to the transportation website for more details.
- The Lawrence 14 piano is reported to be broken, we discussed possibilities of replacing it.
- Bicycle tagging for abandoned bikes will start in the next several weeks. Please contact Charlie Tennyson if you have concerns.
Richard A. Gagliardi III
First meeting of the new academic year. Welcome back to Lawrence everyone!
After the meeting, a new roadblock emerged; we remain committed to bringing composting to Lawrence but it will take longer than anticipated at the meeting. In addition, there is a new graduate group on campus devoted to promoting composting, in residences and beyond. For more information contact Katja Luxem (email@example.com).
- Graduate school is aware of the shuttle issues (being delayed or not trackable).
It might take some time to normalize as there are lots of changes at the beginning of semester. If there are any issues please contact Charles Tennyson at firstname.lastname@example.org directly; hearing from residents will help him know where issues are.
Follow up about building 2 basement (storage units) flooding:
- According to Chris Warkala, flooding in building 2 basement cannot be fixed without a major overhaul which isn’t feasible at this time. Moreover, mildew remains an issue even when there is no flooding. He recommends that residents who have storage there use plastic boxes instead of cardboard boxes (combat both mildew and possible flooding), as well as put things on plastic pallets if possible.
Potential outdoor furniture:
- Also discussed requesting outdoor Adirondack chairs from graduate school with Chris Warkala. Joshua will work with Chris and follow up.
Event forecast (detailed emails will be sent out closer to the dates):
- Lawrence barbecue is currently scheduled for Sept. 18th.
- Lawrence garden will hold a clean up session at the end of September.
- Graduate school room change application will open around Oct. 1st.
Richard A. Gagliardi III
Lately there have been several incidences of Amazon packages being delivered to the wrong buildings and we are working to resolve the issue. In the meantime, if you see that a package is reported as delivered and you cannot find it, there is a good chance it was left at another Lawrence building by mistake. Check all other buildings for missing packages and report instances of mis-delivery to Amazon.
The May meeting was the last of the 2017-2018 academic year. The Lawrence Committee does not meet over the summer and will reconvene on September 11, 2018.
Special election for garden coordinator:
Mauricio Loyola is elected to be the new garden coordinator. Welcome Mauricio!
Nicole Barkley (assistant dean for student life) and Michael Hebditch (graduate office assistant for housing) gave updates on new graduate school Lawrence coordinator recruitment and other logistic issues pertaining to move out and the coming academic year.
Discussed ideas for the next social event, including organizing a brunch or ice cream social, and the possibility of holding a one-time yoga event on the lawn open to all residents and spouses.
CSA Survey Results:
- Based on the CSA survey 23 people are interested and 8 are willing to help; will follow up with Lakeside to discuss participation.
Garden and Special Election:
- There are 26 slots signed up for garden. There will be a garden open house and kick-off on April 14th, including cleaning up the garden and an information session from 9am to 12pm; donuts will be provided.
- Garden coordinator election will probably happen at the next committee meeting (May 8). Sam is in charge of the logistical procedures and more info will be sent out before the election.
- Discussed ideas for the next social event this semester, options include film screening, brunch, finger painting, and ice-cream social.
- Discussed the possibilities of buying new gardening tools / other common Lawrence supplies with remaining budget.
Common Room Cleanup:
- Discussed plans to clean out Building 14 common room shelves. Removing junk and broken items (primarily electronics, videos, and the books), keeping toys and other family items.
- An independent group is working on changes to room draw, including a pilot 2 year program to give priority to families, remove random roommates, and waive cancellation fees. For questions please see https://hres.princeton.edu/graduates.
- Public Safety will conduct their annual safety walk soon. Will try to have some representation from Lawrence to highlight specific issues.
- We had overwhelmingly positive response to last month’s composting survey.
- Some residents are concerned that compost may attract animals, we do not anticipate that this will be a problem as this compost will include the same types of waste that are already in the dumpsters and in more secure bins.
- Joshua is working on looking for sources of funding for this program and coordinating with groups across campus.
Free and borrowed “stuff”:
- We discussed the possibility of starting a pilot of a free pile (place where residents can leave unwanted items to be claimed by other residents) during the summer.
- Ruth is working on creating a shared list where residents can borrow items within the community.
Community Share Agriculture (CSA) program:
- We are investigating the potential of hosting the Honey Brook Organic Farm CSA at Lawrence and sent out a poll to residents.
- There are many logistical issues such as the lack of place to leave the packages and the lack of management, there will be a lot involved if we hold it.
- Sam is leaving Princeton this summer, so we may hold an election for a new Garden Coordinator in May.
- For those who want to garden this summer, a garden info session will be held on March 24th.
- We discussed hosting an Easter egg hunt on March 31st (Saturday) morning on the grass in front of 14 Lawrence. Amitesh is going to make the budget.
- A note to all yoga participants – graduate students should be prepared to bring IDs as they’ll be checked. Non-students are still welcome to participate.
- Olivia Martel
- Dominick Reuter
- Emilce Santana
- Joshua Bauchner
- Amitesh Datta
- Ran Zhang
- Ruth Dannenfelser
General: Discussed logistical issues, recapped responsibilities and transition items for new positions of committee members.
Garden: In late March Sam will distribute the sign-up for the garden and hold an info session for interested residents. In the meantime residents can see the Garden Basics 2018 post on the website (https://lawrence.princeton.edu/2018/02/garden-basics-2018/) and send any questions to email@example.com.
GSG meeting: Discussed upcoming referendum about extending Dbar membership to all graduate students living on campus not just those in the GC.
Composting: Joshua is taking lead on bringing composting to Lawrence. Some potential roadblocks given the current state of composting on campus. At the moment, we want to hear from you about whether you would use composting bins if they were placed at the Lawrence dumpster stations. Please fill out the survey sent via email!
Social event: Our first social event will happen in March, maybe Easter egg hunt in front of Lawrence 14. More details to be planned soon.
Yoga: Yoga will start next week. It’ll be held once a week now (as there were not many participants for twice a week before). It’s currently free for students and $5 for non-students (who are Lawrence residents). Olivia will double check how many people can fit in the yoga room.
- Olivia Martel
- Sarah James
- Sam Richter
- Emilce Santana
- Joshua Bauchner
- Amitesh Datta
- Ran Zhang
- Ruth Dannenfelser
The ballots for the election on January 9th have been tallied and the results are in!
2018 Lawrence Committee:
President: Sarah James
Vice President: Emilce Santana
Secretary: Ran Zhang
GSG Representative: Joshua Bauchner
Garden Coordinator: Sam Richter
Social Chair: Amitesh Datta
Webmaster: Ruth Dannenfelser