How can I receive large parcels?

The Lawrence Apartments do not have a central mail room where you can receive packages without having to sign for them yourself (like in the Graduate College).

USPS will deliver small or foldable items (letters, junk mail, small packages) to your mailbox. If the parcel does not fit into your mailbox, USPS will usually place it before the mailboxes in the lobby. Generally this has not caused any problems, but some packages left in this manner have occasionally gone missing.

If you are using expedited services which require a signature, the carrier won’t be able to deliver the package unless you are there to sign for it. UPS and FedEx usually try to leave the package with your neighbor and leave a notice on your door. Please don’t rely on this regularly, unless you check with your neighbor beforehand–especially if the package is large or you can only pick it up at odd hours or with a large delay. If you are not at home, most carriers attempt delivery another time.

The committee examined the idea of providing a central receiving service in 2007, but was told by the university that it was not possible. Redirecting packages to the Porter’s Lodge at the GC is not permitted–they are already at capacity and cannot receive additional packages.

As a possible solution, many students can receive mail at their department. Please contact your department about their mail policy.

Can I send furniture to myself before my arrival?

No. Even if your package doesn’t not require a signature, there is no place to leave it if it is very large. Hallways serve as escape routes in case of an emergency, and fire safety regulations demand that they not be obstructed. You cannot send yourself furniture or other large items before your arrival unless you arrange with somebody to pick it up. Sometimes you can ask the carrier to hold your package until you arrive.

Where is my newspaper?

Some buildings at Lawrence have double entrances, split by odd- and even-numbered apartments. Although signs are posted at each entrance listing the apartments contained within, sometimes the newspaper delivery personnel still use the wrong entryway. If your newspaper is delivered to the wrong entrance, contact the newspaper directly to explain the situation.

What should I do about my mail when I leave for a longer period?

The small mailboxes for the apartments fill up if you don’t empty them at least every one or two weeks. Once the mailbox is full, USPS will not deliver any more mail to your mailbox. To avoid this, you can have the post office hold your mail (officially, mail be held for a maximum of 30 days, but if you ask nicely at the Palmer Square post office they usually allow a few extra days) or request that the post office forwards your mail to another address (eg your department, but please check with them first). You can find more information about delivery options at the post office website. Please note that Princeton University has a unique zip code, so if you want to forward mail to your department address, the post office will only accept paper forms, thus you won’t be able to set up forwarding online.