January Meeting Minutes

Discussed Items

1. Rogue Internet: OIT will address rogue access points in the near future.

2. Bike racks:
a. Bikes should not be left chained to benches, or in the hallway. Please ask anyone with bikes in the hallway to remove them, as this is a fire hazard. Dave Young, our Superintendent, may also be contacted regarding this issue.
b. Bike racks will be cleaned out soon, providing more room to store bikes.
c. Remember to tag your bikes, since untagged bikes will be removed from the racks soon.

3. Broken Window in Lawrence 13: There is a part missing from the window requiring special glass, but Facilities is aware of this and the part will be coming soon.

4. Committee Expense Reports: It was brought to the committee’s attention that future reimbursement requests must be sent by a group’s Treasurer, the “expense delegate.” The committee will clarify whether this is true. If so, we must clarify whether the Vice President or the Social Chair should be listed as Treasurer, since our committee has no Treasurer position. If necessary, the Constitution may be amended to clarify whether the Vice President or Social Chair will be listed as Treasurer.

5. Washing Machines in Building 1: 2 new washers have recently been installed in Building 1. These washers have a rubber seal that can trap clothing or dirt. Olivia Martel made note of this issue.

6. Recent Social Event (Snowflakes and Hot Cocoa): Attendance was low, but this is often expected for indoor events. Allison requested suggestions for increasing attendance of indoor events, since these events are not clearly visible to all residents. Olivia suggested events such as a Superbowl party, or an awards-viewing party, to encourage residents to come indoors to focus on something together.

7. Elections:
a. 2 people will be running the elections next Tuesday in Lawrence 14.
b. An e-mail reminder about the elections will be sent very soon, and again on the day of the elections. The reminder will include instructions, and information about who can vote and where to read about the candidates.
c. Currently all positions are uncontested, and no one is currently running for GSG Representative.
d. After the elections, there will be a brief meeting so that newly elected committee members can discuss and clarify their new responsibilities with the current committee.
e. A list of all Lawrence Residents will be requested from Jim Poole. All Lawrence residents are eligible to vote in the elections, and residency will be confirmed on the list received from the housing office.

8. Online Communications:
a. Currently, the Constitution is not clearly visible on our Lawrence website. We would like Sema to modify the website so that the Constitution is clearly visible in a drop-down menu.
b. Going forward, our meeting minutes will be e-mailed to the Lawrence Committee so that the entire committee will have an opportunity to review the meeting minutes before they are posted.

Attendance
Lauren Anllo
Andra Geana
Allison Chaney
Olivia Martel
Dmitriy Gorenshteyn
Jian Zhou
Xiaoyu Tang

Lawrence Committee Elections

Current Candidate Statements:

President:

1. Dmitriy (Dima) Gorenshteyn
My name is Dima and I am the current GSG Representative for the Lawrence community. This year I am running for the position of Lawrence Committee President. I firmly believe in the value of graduate student representation; active representation ensures that the university is aware of our needs as a graduate student community. For the past two years I have served as liaison between the Lawrence community and the GSG, I have diligently listened and voiced the needs and concerns of the Lawrence residents. In addition, I represent the graduate student community by holding membership on the Graduate Student Housing Advisory Board as well as the Career Services Advisory Board. As President of this committee, I will use my knowledge and experience to facilitate a clear communication of the needs of Lawrence residents by ensuring that our community is thoroughly represented in university subcommittees. I hope to continue my membership in the Lawrence committee and I look forward to serving this community in the upcoming year. Thank you for your consideration and your support.

Vice President:

1. Burcin Cakir
My name is Burcin Cakir and I am running for the Vice President position. I really enjoy being a part of the Lawrence community and serve the residents as a member of the committee. I am the current Vice President, and in the past, I had a chance to serve in both the Secretary and the Vice President positions. As a committee member, I recorded the necessary announcements, preserved the written reports and helped them to be shared with the residents of Lawrence Apartments. I also tried to be a contact point for the suggestions/complaints of all residents, and raised them in the meetings. Based on my experience, one of the most important issues is the communication between the committee and the residents. To achieve this, with the help of our webmaster, we set up a Lawrence Facebook page to provide an informal social communication platform for the residents.

Secretary:

1. Lauren Anllo
My name is Lauren, and I am a current resident in Lawrence. In the past, I have served as the Molecular Biology department GSG representative, and I was actively involved with the GSG Health and Life Committee. I expressed graduate student concerns to our Princeton administrators at GSG meetings, assisted UHS with a graduate student perspective on interviewing staff members, and helped advertise health awareness events to our campus. I hope to utilize my experience with representing graduate students at Princeton to contribute to an active and enthusiastic Lawrence Committee in the coming year. It is my goal to employ my strong organizational and communication skills to being an effective Lawrence Committee Secretary.
My work ethic has always thrived on my attention to detail, preparedness, and thorough note taking. Recently, I have been conducting classroom observations for the McGraw Center on campus, which have required me to take scrupulous notes recording every interaction and behavior exhibited by students and instructors during an hour-long class period. My notes are of such quality that I am able to recall minor events in detail with the instructors when we have our post-observation meetings. If elected as Lawrence Committee Secretary, I intend to apply this detailed note-taking and organization to maintaining our records, and communicating with our Lawrence residents in a timely and effective manner. I look forward to the possibility of working with the Lawrence Committee in the coming year, and I greatly appreciate your consideration of my candidacy.

GSG Representative:

1. Tracy Liu
Hello Lawrence Community! My name is Tracy; I am a third year graduate student in Chemistry and I am excited to have the opportunity to run for GSG Representative. This position is particularly appealing to me because I believe that maintaining good lines of communication between residents and the University community plays a pivotal role in ensuring that improvements can always be made and current problems addressed. On this subject, one of my ideas to further facilitate residents’ ability to make problems known and/or submit suggestions for community improvement is looking into installing a dropbox inside the bus stop for submitting comments, as well as working with the Webmaster to set up a link on either a Facebook page or the Lawrence Community website for sending in comments/reporting problems. Both these methods provide easy methods for residents to communicate issues they would like the GSG Representative to bring up with the University community, as well as reach out to the Lawrence Committee in general so that we may address community related problems more efficiently. While I am most passionate about the role of GSG Representative, I recognize that improving our community means that each member should be eager to tackle issues and initiate improvements even outside the realm of their mandated role. That said, one project I would like to undertake with the help of my fellow committee members would be to replace the shopping carts with proper moving carts and dollies to keep in each building, which I believe would greatly facilitate the move-in/out process for residents. Finally, a few residents have already pointed out that it can be inconvenient for graduate students needing to work Saturdays to grocery shop with only a Saturday Shopper in service. Thus, I would like to suggest to the GSG that we contact Parking and Transportation about the feasibility of modifying the weekend Shopper service to include a Sunday Shopper. As a person, I am a highly proactive, responsible, and caring individual. I am the current off-ice training captain for the Princeton University Figure Skating Team, which requires me to develop a good rapport with each member of the team. Within my department, I took the initiative to contact, invite, and host seminar speakers from institutions Princeton Chemistry has never before had contact with (i.e. the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC). Thank you for taking the time to read my candidacy statement. I look forward to the having the chance to continue to improve our community!

2. Xiaoyu Tang
I’m Xiaoyu Tang, the current secretary of the Lawrence Committee and am running for the GSG representative. I’m a fourth year graduate student from MAE and have been living in Lawrence for two and half years so I have seen a lot of improvements in the community.

Serving as the secretary of the Lawrence Committee, I became more aware of the concerns residents usually have and how the Lawrence Committee helped with that. We have discussed a lot of issues, such as the wi-fi problems, shuttle schedule, and broken parts of the facilities. I was glad to see that most of the problems were effectively solved by getting our voices heard. We also planned on social events to bring the community members together to know each other and feel like a big family. Through the process, I recognized more value of Lawrence Committee and grew a lot of passion to be part of it to serve the community even better! Technically, I have been recording the minutes carefully, joined the discussion and think of the ways to solve the problems. I have a better idea of what residents care about. It’s very rewarding to make the community a better place.

Now I’d like to move forward to be a liaison between the Lawrence Committee and the GSG. First of all, I’ll speak out the needs of the residents as a whole to GSG and other appropriate external bodies. I’ll also pay attention to the issues discussed on the GSG meeting on a broader level and bring them back to the Lawrence committee and further to the residents. At the mean time, I’ll reach out to representatives in other residential communities and exchange experiences and ideas of making the community a better place. My goal is to have the voice of the residents heard and keep the residents updated with any relevant changes made in GSG and even the school. I have been the Logistic Chair for the Association of Chinese Students and Scholars at Princeton University, and organized the Chinese Lunch every Thursday at Campus Club, which provides delicious Chinese food to people all around the campus. I think one common character the logistic chair and GSG representative share is to be attentive to people’s needs and always make every effort to meet other’s needs. On the other hand, I’m also the co-chair of the publicity group of APGA Reunions Committee which serves to connect between the alumni community and current graduate student community in both directions and helps build the communication skills.

I’ll make full use of my passion and skills to serve the community better! Thanks a lot for your consideration!

Social Chair:

1. Allison Chaney
I have live in Lawrence since Fall 2010, and have served as Garden Coordinator for two years; I enjoyed the social aspects of working with the garden community, and am now acting as Social Chair. Between my time in both positions, I have helped the committee with numerous events, and I hope to continue as Social Chair. Most recently, I organized a pumpkin carving event in the fall and I am currently planning a study break for January. I ask for your support moving forward.

Webmaster:

1. Sema Berkiten
My name is Sema. I am a fifth year PhD student in Computer Science Department. I have been living in Lawrence community for 4 years now and I was in the Lawrence committee as the webmaster during the last year. As a webmaster, I kept the lawrence website up-to-date, changed/upgraded the website (new location: lawrence.princeton.edu), and created a community facebook group. I would like to continue serving as a Webmaster during the next year as well. I look forward to be a part of the committee again next year and I appreciate your support.

Garden Coordinator:

1. A.J. Riggs
As the garden coordinator, I, A.J. Riggs, would work hard to make your life easier. From my past two years gardening here and from growing up on a farm, I have the experience to keep the garden in good shape. I have a simple plan for making the Lawrence Apartment gardening experience better for everyone. In addition to the policies previously introduced to make the garden function well, I will:

1) Personally keep the weeds down in the communal pathways, around the compost bins and sheds, and in unused plots. This will make it easier to get around the garden and harder for rabbits and pests to hide. I’ll also rip out the poison ivy near around the compost bins and along the fence.
2) Reduce unused space in the garden. Last year there were many unused plots, so I will make it easier for people to have larger plots if they want and advertise the garden heavily in the spring and when new leases start in July.
3) Organize and fix the tools. I’ll make a better storage system for the tools so that they don’t get tangled up, fix up the rickety wheelbarrow, and repair all the damaged or broken tools.

I would love the opportunity to improve our garden and make it more accessible to you, so please vote for me as the new garden coordinator!

December Minutes

Items discussed:

1. Glass window for Lawrence 13

There were reported problems with the glass window in Lawrence 13. Maintenance will address the issue during December 16th- 19th and emails will be sent close to the date.

2. Bike rack

The bike cleanup will be done by the transportation department after the holidays. On January 5th, they will send an email asking residents to mark their bikes and a reminder on January 12th. On January 19th, they will pick up the abandoned bikes. They will decide whether to install more bike racks after that.

3. Election

The statement for the election will be online soon. The election will take place on January 20th as sent in the email and the deadline for declaring candidacy is January 16th.

4. Study break

The study break will take place on January 6th. More details coming soon…

Attendees:
Xiaoyu Tang
AJ E Riggs
Burcin Cakir
Nathanid Chaney
Firdevs Ulus (on behalf of Sema Berkitun)
Dmitriy Gorenshteyn
Andra Geana
Olivia Martel

Stolen laundry basket

Missing Laundry Basket (with a broken handle)
Date: 11/15/2014 (Saturday)
Time: Between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Location: 14 Lawrence Laundry Room
The owner will greatly appreciated if the laundry basket can be returned to the same laundry room, where she can go pick it up.
Here is a picture of how it looked like:

November Minutes

Items discussed:
1. Wi-fi problem
OIT has reported the slowing down of wi-fi signal in some buildings and they have observed private wireless points in several buildings. Reminders regarding the policy towards personal wifi set up will be sent out to residents.

2. Election
The election for the next tenure will take place in January. The committee will send out emails to announce the instructions and timeline.

3. Study break
We are planning to organize a study break in the form of a small party or ‘snow flake cutting’ in January. Details will be discussed next meeting and notice will be sent out after that.

4. Several suggestions were raised:
a. Getting more benches in the Lawrence complex, especially at the rear door of Lawrence 1.
b. Installing more bike racks and cleaning up old bikes.

Attendees:
Mercedes Valmisa
Sergio Luque
Olivia Martel
Allison Chaney
Andra Geana
Dmitriy Gorenshteyn
Haotian Pang
AJ Riggs
Chun (Tracy) Liu
Burcin Cakir
Xiaoyu Tang

October Minutes

Items discussed:

1. Elections
The committee will send out an email to the residents in November to announce the vacant positions in the committee. We will provide the timing information for the temporary elections to fill these positions till the usual December elections.

2. Social events
We are planning to organize a pumpkin carving event combined with a pie making contest in the Halloween week.

3. Lawrence Facebook Page
Upon an informal social communication platform request for Lawrence residents (to discuss the community issues, etc.), the committee is considering to create a Facebook page for Lawrence Apartments.

Attendance :
Dima Gorenshteyn
Allison Chaney
Burcin Cakir
Andra Geana
Olivia Martel
Cole Schlesinger
Warren
Mercedes
Sergio
Jaycee
Harry
Lauren Anllo

September Minutes

The main three issues discussed:

  1. Internet problems due to private wireless points, such as personal wireless routers or other pieces of equipment that broadcast over wireless, about which the committee decided to send a reminder to the residents,
  2. The Lawrence Welcome Picnic which will be held this week.
  3. About the vacant positions, we are planning to send an election email to the residents.